Whether you want to build a new roof or replace an old one, choosing the roofing material will be one of the hardest challenges you will face. There are so many of them that deciding which is going to be best in your particular case is sure to be difficult. Our experienced specialists will help you pick the most cost-efficient option based on your needs and budget.
Best Roofing Materials: Types
Each of the roofing materials available on the market today has its own pros and cons. They differ in cost, durability, and installation method, so you will need to choose very carefully. The materials most commonly used in Toronto are:
- Asphalt shingles.
This is the cheapest and most common type of roofing used all over the continent. Asphalt shingles aren’t particularly durable (15-30 years) when compared to other types of roofing materials that can last for decades or even centuries. However, they are reliable, affordable, and roof shingle manufacturers offer a great variety of designs and colors to choose from. As there are many asphalt shingles brands, you will definitely find something you like.
…continued under the gallery
- Wood. As a shingle roofing material, wood is an excellent choice for those pursuing a ranch look. This option is also good for renovating historic buildings if it restores their authentic look. High-quality wooden shingles can last for 50 years if maintained properly. Cedar shingles will be even more durable. The only drawback of this roofing option is that it requires a lot of maintenance.
- Engineered rubber. These materials are mostly used for flat roofing systems with EPDM being the most popular solution in Toronto today. These roll on roofing products are perfect for commercial buildings as they are durable and affordable. They also require little maintenance and there are a variety of specialized coatings that can help you strengthen any kind of rolled roofing and increase its lifespan.
- Plastic polymer shingles. These shingles are relatively cheap and designed to look like slate and clay tiles, which makes them a great choice for those who cannot afford these expensive roofing materials.
- Metal. Metal is a great roofing material that has been used for many decades. As there are many metals available, you can choose to install an aluminum, steel, copper, or tin roof. Steel is the cheapest and least durable option, but there are some options with specialized coatings that imitate slate and cedar shingles. Copper roofing is most expensive, but if maintained properly, it can protect the building for centuries.
- Clay tile. Clay is a great roofing material due to its level of energy-efficiency and extreme durability. These tiles also make any property look elegant and give it a Mediterranean feel. This material, however, is not cheap, and the tiles require very careful handling as well as regular maintenance. They can be damaged by storms and debris, but this type of roofing is easy to fix.
- Concrete. Concrete tiles come in a variety of styles and colors. They are very strong, durable, energy-efficient, and recyclable. This is one of the most popular roofing materials in Toronto due to its high efficiency and low cost.
- Slate. Natural slate is heavy and expensive, but this type of roofing will last for centuries. It doesn’t require much maintenance and offers a high degree of protection.
Any of the aforementioned roofing materials can be used for both residential and commercial properties. However, expensive options like copper, cedar, slate, and clay tile are usually restricted to smaller residential roofs. Rubber, asbestos, plastics, and various roll roofing materials are more popular for commercial buildings.
At Royal Roofing Inc., we employ a team of certified and experienced professionals who can install any roofing option you choose and offer guarantees for the quality of their work.