Whenever moss builds up on a roof, the nuisance can threaten both the health of your family and the integrity of your home. Roofing materials like roll roofing, asphalt shingles, and wood shingles offer an ideal environment for the growth of algae and moss. These growths appear as a thin black or green coating that develops on a roof surface in humid and moist areas. When combined with the indirect sunlight in shady areas, moss can thrive and lead to permanent damage to your roof. To remove moss and address any associated damage, you should contact Royal Roofing Inc., a professional roofing company in Toronto.
What You Can Do to Prevent Moss Growth on Your Roof
Proper maintenance and regular care can help to address conditions responsible for the growth of moss. In addition, regular roof inspections can help to detect the early signs of moss growth, so that you can take actions to prevent it from spreading further.
Firstly, ensure that you have good ventilation and air circulation in your attic. This will help to prevent condensation build-up, which, in turn, could lead to the growth of moss on your roof.
In addition, you should avoid any aggressive cleaning methods that could damage the roof surface and don’t attempt to walk on a slippery or wet roof on your own. If you notice moss, evaluate the situation from the ground and get in touch with Royal Roofing Inc. for moss removal. Moss and algae can be incredibly slippery, and, by trying to remove it on your own, you are risking a more serious injury.
Below are some simple solutions that can help you to prevent or slow down the growth of moss on your roof:
- Raking off roof moss. You can use a flexible roof rake to remove some of the moss from the ground. Make sure to do the raking gently to avoid any roof damage.
- Sweeping and power washing. Try to gently clean the roof from the ground with a soft brush or power washing. Note that doing this with a shingled roof can potentially break shingles or loosen the protective mineral granules from the shingle surface.
- Trimming back trees. You can give your roof more sunlight by cutting the branches that overshadow the roof surface. In addition, keep the roof clean of organic debris like pine needles and leaves, which can collect in the spring and fall, providing moss with the necessary nutrients to grow.
- Installing metal strips like copper. By installing metal strips along the ridge of the roof, lichens and moss will be slowly killed off as rainwater releases mineral salts from the metals.
- Algae-resistant shingles. When replacing a roof, consider installing algae-resistant shingles that will be resistant to both algae and moss. This is especially important if your roof is subjected to regular moisture or located under the tree shade. This type of roof will give you peace of mind and save you costly repairs in the future.
- Conduct necessary repairs. Finally, if your roof shingles are fragile or worn out, it will be impossible to clean the roof without causing damage. If your roof requires repairs, you should contact a roof repair company in Toronto like Royal Roofing for roof inspection, as well as moss prevention and removal.
Suffering from Moss Growth on Your Roof? Contact Royal Roofing Today
At Royal Roofing Inc., we have a team of highly trained, experienced, and insured roofing professionals who can provide top-quality roofing services in Toronto, including gutters, skylights, sidings, masonry, and, of course, moss prevention and removal.